Sunday, April 18, 2010

Puppy Love



We made an incredibly quick trip to the Mitten yesterday. We had planned on going up for the week-end a few weeks back, but it didn't work out. Martin's dad was very disappointed, so he gave Martin a ticket on the Guilty Train and off we went.

They have a new Boxer puppy, nine weeks old. His name is Willem and he is adorable, as you can see. Willem is going to be a big boy. He already weighs twice as much as my pocket Pom and is twice her size.

I'm a dog magnet. Nearly every dog I meet loves me. Every dog Martin and I have ever owned has become my dog. I'm their mommy. Willem was no different. My dogs were pretty pissed when we got home and from my smell of puppy, it was obvious I'd been cheating on them.

*****

I'm reading Kitty Kelly's latest book, Oprah.
(Note: I got mine at Target for a lot less.) I've never watched a lot of Oprah's show, but of course, I'm familiar with her story and her works. The book is explosive. The best way I can describe the revelations in the book is that Oprah has distorted several facts of her life and is not the transparent person that she presents herself to be. Also, it is not a good idea to make the O mad; she went sixteen years without talking to David Letterman after he pissed her off on his show. That is just one example of her ability to neither forgive, nor forget, and her power. The sheer power of the woman is incredible. Sometimes, she does use that power for good.


*****
I quite like my new job. No one there is crazy. I've worked in some interesting places. One job, the boss was a complete paranoid loon; he kept a loaded gun in his desk and was just off

At another job at a car dealership, one of the salesmen was arrested in Detroit for soliciting a prostitute. His demo was impounded. When the demo was picked up, there was a very large woman's shoe (bronze leather mid-heel open toe pump, an 11 at least, which makes you wonder which waters the above mentioned salesman was trolling) under the seat, along with an empty bottle of vodka.

I worked for a company that scammed poor people out of their money under the guise of repairing their credit. We ran commercials about our "services" and people called an 800 number that directed them to a 900 number that charged $3.95 a minute to take a "credit app" from them then turned them over to "underwriting", which then directed them to a finance company in their area that might give them a loan. I have a feeling this is operating again, or at least a good imitation, since I've seen commercials that are eerily similar. That boss was fairly paranoid, as well.

Boss The Father at one place I worked was a nasty dry drunk, one of the worst I've ever seen. I'd worked there about a week when a delivery guy was dropping off a rebuilt engine that Boss The Father was overcharged for. He went berserk on the poor driver, who took off in a blaze of dust and called 911, which prompted the cops to come out, where BTF ranted at them as well.

It's nice to have a job, and it's nice that it's normal.

5 comments:

Judy said...

Glad you got up here for a visit--even a short one. Fred wants a bulldog--me--not so much. Glad you like your new job and about that Oprah book--even though they say Kitty Kelley sometimes exaggerates things--i think she is pretty right on. Of course, I 've never cared for Oprah so I might be a tad bias?

Miss Darr said...

I need to hear more about this job, you haven't filled me in yet!

I was hoping you'd be going to Michigan the weekend we are and maybe get to see Kel's band with us. Hiss boo! But glad you had a good visit.

I'm not an Oprah maniac, but I generally like her. Kitty Kelly, eh. Not so sure I trust a lot of what she says. I think she takes a kernel of truth and makes it a bushel of sensationalism. But your mileage may vary. ;-)

Unknown said...

I go back and forth on KK; I've read most of her stuff, except the Jackie book. I think she probably does get a lot more right than wrong, but she is a bit melodramatic.

Grandma K said...

Boxers are the best dogs in the world - but I am a bit prejudiced. I currently have one - a silver boxer of unknown age, and had one from a pup. I love, love, love the breed!

I am also glad you like your new job. That's so important!

Nadine said...

Keep us posted on your new job. I'm so excited for you! I'm still looking!